Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Transfer Call

Nooooooooooo!! Last night we were at an investigator´s house who was making us dinner when our phone started to ring. I looked at who was calling and it read, ´´Presidente Perrotti.´´ dum dum dummmmmm
He thanked me for the work thats happening in Socorro and the progress of the area, and then took a deep breath. Haha oh man! I knew it was coming. And then he said it. Ill be getting transferred. Haha ahhhh man it killed me. He said it like this, ´´Look Elder Welch... I'm going to have to transfer you.``
Followed by a deep exhale by me. Haha man. Allow me to explain.

Three weeks ago the Branch here celebrated it´s 6th year since becoming a branch from a group (they were a group for four years). They invited the old Branch President, Stake President and Mission President to give talks three weeks ago, but President Perrotti wasn´t able to make it. They marked with him and Sister Perrotti to give talks two weeks ago instead (where they invited me to give the first talk... That's a whole different story. Haha talk about being nervous). I sent the picture home last week (I forgot an explanation) in my email of us at lunch with some of the members and President and Sister Perrotti after church. They were treated like all-stars, as they rightly should be. They are so awesome. Anyway, two weeks ago everyone jumped all over President and Sister Perrotti saying that it was absolutely necessary that I stayed in Socorro for at least one more transfer. It was a little over the top which made me feel bad because I felt that President and Sister Perrotti would think that I set them up to do that. I talked to them afterwards, which they understood I wouldn't do that. Anyway, I felt a little bitembarrassed but super loved at the same time.
This week the houses we visited, the members we left to teach with and the meals we ate said that they had a certainty that Elder Jara and I would stay here together for at least 6 more weeks - leaving us comfortable. One member tried to have the President promise her that I would stay... haha
But, on the phone call last night he explained something a little bit different that will happen. We´re going to pick up one more missionary  tomorrow in Campinas and work in a trio here in Socorro for three weeks. And then after the three weeks, Ill leave to go to another area. President Perrotti told me to start telling the members now so they wont have a heart attack if I were to be transferred tomorrow. It´s going to be weird these three weeks, but definitely a lot of fun. We have a few weddings to accomplish and I have some mighty praying and fasting to do for Afonso... Here I come baby!

This week we taught one more english class of 40 students. It´s incredible to see the opportunities that are opening up. I went by the mission office this past week to get a box of 50 Books of Mormon in english so I could start teaching them. We finished the week with 58 referrals not contacted at the end of yesterday. FIFTY-EIGHT! Haha Preach My Gospel tells you to try to finish the week with 0. There's so much planning to be done its not even funny. I'm not going to lie, it´s SUPER overwhelming. Haha sometimes when we´re not careful, we get super stressed out here.

To give you the news on one of our investigators that I love is named Riessa. She´s seriously a warrior. She has 16 years with a kid who´s almost 2. Yes, there's no error there. Shes 16 with a two year old baby boy. Yesterday was her second time at church, where shes soaking it all in. It has to be so hard for her, even in church attending Relief Society instead of Young Womens. After she had her kid (and her boyfriend abandoned her, of course) her mom kicked her out of the house with her kid, where she lived on the street! She dropped out of school because of the challenges with her kid and eventually moved in with her aunt. Her story is like one Broadway would make a movie out of in New York. Its such a blessing to be a part of her life, especially at this time. Only the Savior can help, and we´re so happy to share His message and His gospel with her.
She got a job this week, where the boss said, ´´you get one day off, what day do you want?´´ The day before we taught her about the Sabbath Day where she told her boss, ´´I want Sunday off so I can go to church.´´ OOHHHHH YEAHHHH! THAT´S MY INVESTIGATOR BABY!!

To end with, I was walking on the side walk today with Elder Jara with umbrellas. It rained all last night and this morning as were were walking. We looked in front of us where a car sped up to pass another car and hit a puddle next to us in order to spray water all over our white shirts... Haha it was so obvious what he tried to do - luckily, we passed the puddle a couple of seconds before and we only got a little wet.
I walked away on FIRE! I was so pumped! haha not mad, but pumped up. I looked at Elder Jara and said, ´´Ohhhh yeah.. I love me some opposition!´´
This is the Lord´s work and I testify that it´s accelerating. But the enemy too, is accelerating his... Time to choose what side we´re on and play for His team! Vamos
´´Who´s on the Lord´s side, who?´´

Love,
Elder Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment