Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Felicidade

I´m a happy man. ´´Happy happy happy.´´ Seriously, in my new ward last night we had a fireside where the Ward Mission Leader invited President and Sister Perrotti. They rocked the talks out of the park talking about happiness. President Perrotti asked two questions at the pulpit:
-What do you do when you are happy?
-And when you are happy, what do you do?
I began to think about the times in my life when I was the happiest. I thought about the Dublin Coffman basketball game my senior year when we pulled out the win by 3 to win the conference. I thought about my first home run in baseball. I thought about going to Cedar Point with my friends and family traditions, especially Christmas times... 

I just returned home the day before from Socorro. I was transferred last week, but received permission to return Friday night to perform the baptism and participate in the wedding of Delson and Cris, some of my favorite investigators of all time.
Saturday, while I was returning back to my new area, I pulled out my journal to write down some of my feelings. Man, I felt like Mormon at the end of his life writing in my journal because there´s a chance that I won´t ever see this place again (however, in the future Ill save up some money to return). Anyway, I realized how much I loved Socorro.

In the bible dictionary in Portuguese under ´´Joy´´ it talks about being free. Free from sin and guilt, which only is possible through Jesus Christ. Last night I started to think about my ´´freedom´´ and realized how flat out happy I am now in my life. Haha I wanted to stand up and start doing the ´´eagle.´´ Yes, I'm having challenges with a lot of things, some of the hardest things in my life to be frank, but I'm free. I'm free from all of my sins, I'm free from all of my guilt, and I'm even free from allembarrassment. (The only thing that seems to still haunt me is the dropped interception I had against Coffman Junior year... Yes, I still have dreams about that). 
I'm so grateful for the Restoration of the Priesthood. I recognized recently that no one on the earth can fully repent without the help of the Priesthood. Nonmembers NEED this freedom that can only come through the gate of baptism. Members need this freedom that only comes through the Sacrament - both administered by the Aaronic Priesthood.

-I've talked a little bit about the opposition that's happening in this work right now. This week, my toe nails took a wrong turn... I have the WORST ingrown toenail that I tried to take care of at a doctor, but it got worse this week. I had a mini surgery this morning at a salão of a member to get everything to normal. Talk about pain... HOLY SMOKES! The toenails are SO SENSITIVE! Haha I about cried from pain. And to keep it from hurting so bad, I about bit my finger off - you know, to put the pain somewhere else to not think about the actual pain. Haha I'm wearing sandals now this week - I´ll be a true servant of Jesus Christ this week. Ill send some pictures next week. Also, a monkey either pooped on me this week or threw a tiny fruit on my shoulder as I walked under "his" tree. (See picture)

-REESE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love you so much! Haha send me pictures if you can next week of her with her birthday cake.

I gave one last push for Alfonso, inviting him to be baptized on Friday night but he didn't show up... I felt terrible and apologized to his wife. I don't feel like I did everything I could've. Ill be fasting every fast Sunday until his baptism with her. Ill always write them letters every week to try to baptize at the end of my mission before returning home... Feel free to participate!

Even with the sadness of some of the wrong decisions people make with their agency, I'm still happy to be a missionary. As dad said today in his letter to me, I also say, ´´The gospel is true and I love it.´´ I´m a happy, happy man. (you can argue about the man part of the sentence, but have certainty that I'm a happy missionary)

Elder Welch


Sunburnt Neck

Monkey poop or fruit that dropped on my shirt!

Baptism for Delson and Cris


No comments:

Post a Comment