Monday, December 2, 2013

Striving

This week really testified of 2 Nephi 2:11 - opposition in all things. Holy cow being on a mission is like a roller coaster of emotions... I sometimes have to slap myself to remind me to "Man up!" Haha I've never been so happy in my life. And along with that, I don't think I've ever been so down in my life.

But to start -- Karli's going to HONG KONG!? Haha are you KIDDING ME?? Aghhh man, that's crazy! I totally did call that back in May. It feels good to "brag" right now because I was really drowning in the depths of humility this week. But seriously, that's incredible. Seeing and reading about family and friends doing missionary work and going on missions gets me FIRED UP! I can't believe she's learning Cantonese though. I remember talking to some mandarin missionaries back in the MTC and the only positive thing they could say was, "At least I'm not learning Cantonese..." Yikes! Haha I think there's nine different tones in that language? It's a good thing she can sing. Whoooo, that puts learning Portuguese with the wall every morning to shame.

Anyway, I was thinking a lot about missionaries this morning as we opened up Companion(s)ship Study with the hymn, "In Our Lovely Deseret." So much gratitude came over me for both you mom and dad, all the aunts and uncles, and then Grandma and Grandpa McFerson. I seriously am so thankful to have had the opportunity to have grown up with all of the cousins so close by. My favorite line of the song is, "They are generous and brave, they have many SOULS TO SAVE!" You've got to sing it to the tune. Whooo man, it gets me pumped up and thinking about Jd, Blake, David, and soon Matt (even though he's already killing it with missionary work in Powell right now) out in the field. I was so happy to hear about Blake's call last week.

Anyway, on to this week:  JESSICA GOT BAPTIZED!
So let me write down two things she wrote on a piece of paper to our mission president.
"I testify He's true because before I met the missionaries, I was on the wrong path doing the wrong things. But Jesus Christ sent me the Elders which changed me completely. I know through reading your scriptures and attending church, He will always be there for you and forgive and love you. No matter what."

"I was sitting at the bus stop one day with my friend and two elders approached us (Elder Welch and Elder Peery). They gave us a card and invited us to church. At first, I didn't take it serious because I guess I wasn't ready to change but as I saw the motivation of the missionaries and their continuous effort to not give up on me. I realized it was really time for me to take that step and listen to them and change... I knew that Jesus Christ sent the Elders to me... Months later, I have changed... I got baptized and it was a wonderful feeling being closer to God! I had many feelings of nervousness and happiness, but at the end I am happy with my decision and I know God is too! :)"



Man... No joy matches that of bringing a soul unto Him. This work is His work. I am so happy. Thank you all for your continuous support.  

Elder Welch


No comments:

Post a Comment